Saturday, January 12, 2008

Why Are People Mean?

Why do people treat each other badly? I guess if we knew exactly why and could fix it we could end all wars and there really would be Peace on Earth.

I had to issue another Mean Person Ticket yesterday. Again to my new boss. I know I'm going to cry while I type this but I probably need to cry anyway --- and I definitely need to write about it.

Yesterday I was finally into the giggly happiness of anticipating my daughter's wedding next Saturday. The ladies I work with were sharing the gaiety with me and I was sure from that time forward every day would be extraordinarily fun. There were some things on my desk I needed to keep in a file for "wedding stuff" and since we're remodeling the offices I couldn't find a file folder to use. I had a cute gift bag in a drawer so I put these things in the bag and stuck a note on the outside "wedding".

Well, being one to never miss an opportunity to be silly and have a little fun, I looked at the bag and the note and I thought --- I'll just write "fund $$ please help" under "wedding" and put the bag next to my desk. Several people walked by, saw the bag, laughed, made a comment such as "I hope you like peanut butter and jelly because that's what you're going to be eating for the next year after paying for two weddings." Then the Sea Hag walked by.

Let me digress...the Sea Hag is a very angry woman whose sole pleasure in life is talking badly about other people. Unfortunately the Sea Hag is very good at Kissing A-s-s and has the new boss thinking she is not evil, and that the rest of are either lesbians, liars, stupid or useless AND perhaps now that I'm an extortionist.

A few minutes after the Sea Hag walked by, the new boss comes to my desk, grabs the bag, throws it in my lap and says very sternly, "Jo Ann, we can't be doing THIS." I said to her retreating back as she storms away, "IT IS A JOKE!". Now keep in mind what the new boss said to me when I asked for an afternoon off to take Austin to the airport after his post-Iraq leave. "I suggest that you take some time to contemplate your commitment to this company and your job. . .we'll meet on ____ for you to give me your decision."

After speaking with a few members of management, I sent this e-mail to the new boss:

I don’t think you handled the “money bag” situation appropriately. Everyone knew it was a joke and it was in no way intended as solicitation. It was just additional humor I was enjoying in anticipation of my daughter’s wedding.

I am a grown woman who has been in the work force for over 30 years and with this company for almost four. I would appreciate being treated in a professional manner.

to which she responded:

Apparently not “everyone” knew it was a joke. I got a complaint about the “money bag”. As far as being professional, I think telling you that we couldn’t do that was in no way unprofessional. What is not appropriate is to have a “money bag” asking for donations for your daughter’s wedding on top of the Partitions in the office – joke or not. (my emphasis)

And we wonder why there is global warming.

Supplement: I found this over at "Running on Empty" --- It's going in a frame on my desk. Next time the boss comes by, I'll be ready for her!



Oh No,,,,,,,,,,,its BOHICA TIME!!

(bend over, here it comes again!)




5 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

and the sea hag will wake up tomorrow morning still being a sea hag, and you will just smile.

Write Before Sleep said...

Sarge --- funny thing, I thought the same sort of thing yesterday. "Everywhere she goes, there she is".

She has no children (neither does the new boss); they'll never get a giggle from "asking for donations" for their daughters' weddings; they'll never smile so hard that their face hurts when they see their sons for the first time when they get back from war; their children will never dedicate "Because You Loved Me" to them!!!!! I've got it all!

I just love you!

Rositta said...

I'm a first time visitor to your site and enjoyed the little video clip on the sidebar. I wish more people thought like you. Just smile at the sea hag, if you can...ciao

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

It appears that the name you gave her "sea hag" is very appropriate... what a, a,a,... SEA HAG!!!

Didn't get good news today... will e-mail you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, the sea hag and the new boss sound like those characters you see in a movie and you can't believe anyone could be so hateful in real life... but then there they are! Smile at them, maybe they'll learn a little bit about humanity. On another note, it's a shame you included lesbians in your list of liars and useless stupid people...but then maybe you don't know any.