Saturday, September 15, 2007

Harm at Home

Stef's boyfriend Jorge is in intensive care in a Tampa hospital. He was injured in a motorcycle accident a week ago -- battered, bruised, a broken hand and pelvis -- but no life threatening injuries.

All that changed yesterday when during surgery to repair his pelvis, blood clots from the injury traveled to his lungs which put him in pulmonary arrest. Fortunately he was on a respirator for the surgery or he may not have survived.


He is still on the respirator and under heavy sedation until his heart rate returns to normal and he can breath on his own. When we left the hospital tonight he had a fever but otherwise looked calm and comfortable.

Stef doesn't like this photo because she looks like she has two chins --- but she was leaning back being silly right when I took it. But it's such a cute photo of Jorge being affectionate.

I've always thought Jorge looks like The Rock -- he can do the eyebrow thing too.

Jorge enlisted in the Army last year at the age of 32. After a few weeks of basic training he realized that military life was not for him and was able to return home. He tried though; he really did. Otherwise there would be four stars on my Blue Star Banner and that would just be too much.

This is going to be a long road to recovery for Stef and Jorge. They've been together for two years and there is no doubt how much they love each other. Keep them in your thoughts over the next week or so as Jorge recovers.

4 comments:

Debbi (no 'e' on the end) said...

Will definately keep them both in my prayers along with the rest of your family & YOU. Hang in there gal...He only gives us what he knows we can handle. I say "Enough already!!"

Anonymous said...

Jo Ann...Please let Stephanie know I have her fella in my prayers. I want you to know you are in my prayers also. You are an incredably strong woman to keep all these balls in the air and have a job outside your home also! I alwayws knew how tenacious you were, now everyone knows! Many hugs!

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

Will had them to my prayers ...

Blog said...

I will definately keep your daughter and her boyfriend in my prayers. I read this off of a note card I have "Walk toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you." I think that it is good for us all to remember this. Good days are coming for us all.